Thursday, November 25, 2010

I'm Thankful For Brushes and Brooms

For Christmas 1991, our oldest daughter, Melissa, received this gift from her Grandma and Grandpa Crawford:

Precious Moments Through the Year Stories by V. Gilbert Beers and Samuel J. Butcher

She was, and still is, Daddy's Precious Moments Girl in every way. Not long after that we had three in our quiver--Melissa, Malachi, and Cherith.

On Thanksgiving 1992, and on every Thanksgiving Day since then, I have read this poem from her book before dinner.

"I heard Mom say as she scrubbed today,
'I'm thankful for brushes and brooms.
I'm glad to clean my cozy house
That's filled with cheerful rooms.'

I heard Mom say at the washing machine,
'I'm thankful for dirty clothes.
I'm glad that I have a healthy child
Who can play each day she grows.'

I heard Mom say at the sink tonight,
'I'm thankful for dirty dishes.
I'm glad we filled our plates with food
Instead of empty wishes.'

I heard Mom say in her prayers tonight,
'I'm thankful for problems today.
If life never got a little bit rough,
I might forget to pray.' "

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment